Monday, July 7, 2008

Adventurers unable to make ends meet.

So I recently saw the following on the Gleenmax forums:

The economic rules as written (note the key words) are flawed

I'm proud to say that I managed to not read the thread (the temptation was very strong but I knew how it was going to end). But I did skip to the end and add a concern of my own about the new rules.

The farming rules are also completely unworkable. I mean how are my characters supposed to eat when it is impossible to grow food?

I'm going to leave aside my various problems with invoking “rules as written” and just focus on trying to make D&D into a system for all possibilities. I mean even gurps (which has detailed rules for how much money people earn from their day jobs) does not attempt to address the economy beyond: How much does stuff cost? And how much money do I have? Which I feel is exactly the point to end your simulation.

I was going to bitch about people making other stupid demands of a game system, but I've suddenly decided that it would be more fun to list all the economic questions I (or my friends) have had to consider in a game. At least the funny ones anyway.

Q: What is the cost of enough food to acquire the perfect loyalty of an impoverished street orphan?
A: Pretty damn cheap.

Q: What is worth more $4 million in small bills or limitless hookers and booze?
A:If you do it right the hookers and booze.

Q: What is an appropriate bribe for an ancient dragon accustomed to the worship of a long dead pre-Columbian civilization?
A: All the Nazis it can eat.

Q: How long before secretly buying the inn and charging the other characters for rooms turns a profit?
A: In money? Never.
A: In joy? Immediately.

I would like to point out that “Can I get a 10% discount on a +3 longsword of quick draw?” is not and never will be on that list.

No comments: